Pages

24 June 2014

Baby stuff and girls camp

Last week we had our 12 week appointment for the baby.  It is so magical to look at the screen and see the little blob has turned into a tiny person.  We got to hear the heartbeat and see all the bones forming.  Honestly, I wish I could sit in there and look at the little thing for hours.  But, doctors have other things to do I suppose.  It is still kind of unreal to think about.  It is hard to believe there is another human growing inside of me!  

Yesterday Evan came home and I had done absolutely nothing with my day off.  He had a classmate over to study and we were standing in the kitchen and Evan said, "Hold on, I'm hugging my wife, she worked hard today."  My first thought was, he was making a jab at my complete lack of doing anything today, then he said, "You grew a baby today!"  I know it was partially a joke, but it came from his heart. It was very sweet of him to say to me =)   Growing those little fingers and toes is exhausting somedays!

Around 6 weeks, I started to battle some light nausea.  It really wasn't all that bad.  Just queasiness around lunch or dinner.  It was enough to make me feel bad, but I could still function.  At our first appointment, the doctor gave me a prescription for Zofran to help with it.  I was surprised at how hungry I was when I didn't feel sick all the time!  I'v tried to only take it when I know I will need it.  Like at school, I took it before lunch just in case it decided to creep up.  I didn't like feeling sick and trying to teach.  Or if we went to somebody's house for dinner, I would take it.  Once school let out, I only took it if I started to feel sick.  

I had volunteered to go to Girls Camp before I found out I was pregnant, and once the news got out, I had parents and other leaders volunteering to go in my place.  "You don't want to go if you're sick, it's hot and dirty!"  or other stuff along those lines.  I've never been to girls camp, I really did want to go!  I assured people "I'll be almost through the first trimester, the nausea should be wearing off, and if it doesn't, I have medicine that helps a lot."  I was prepared, I made sure I had enough medication to get through the whole week, and plenty of snacks  (I've found that sometimes the nausea is because I'm hungry).  The whole week I did not have any sick feelings.  It was the longest I've gone without the Zofran since I filled the prescription.  And as soon as I got back, I needed one.  

I really needed to be at camp with the Young Women.  Heavenly Father watched out for me and made sure I was able to get through the week and stay positive.  It was an amazing experience.  I feel so much closer to the Young Women I went with, and I was able to see their best selves.  Being away from the world and its influences made them all a little bit shinier.  I can't wait to go back next year!  Of course, we'll have a 6 month old, so there may be some logistical problems, but I hope I can.  I've loved serving with the Young Women, and I am so grateful for the opportunity we had to bond together at camp and share our testimonies together.  

1 comment:

Lildonbro said...

That's so exciting! I only went to camp one day and I felt closer to the girls I serve. Isn't that crazy? Had a great time though- no ticks and the weather was beautiful despite the heatwave we were having :)