Pages

23 May 2011

Graduate? CHECK!

I for real didn't think I was ever going to graduate.  There was a point I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I just knew I had to keep on pushing through.  And finally, I made it to graduation day!

Six years of school and I felt like I earned the right to tote my parents and husband around campus for six hours and make them sit through two long boring ceremonies.  So I did.  And they loved (or at least pretended to love) every minute of it.

The day started with us leaving at 7:30 so we could drive out to the airport to get my parents, then driving downtown to be there by 8:30, like VCU asked, so I could stand in the basement of the coliseum for an hour and a half.  In heels.  Also, it smelled like elephants.  Pretty sure they didn't do a very deep clean after the circus left last month.

Then the processional of thousands of graduates out onto the coliseum floor.  Lots of talking, lots of PhD students, and a plug for alumni support.  I got to stand with the six other people that braved the morning commencement from my program and look for my parents among the thousands in the stadium. 2 hours later, the recessional back into the elephant smelling  basement.  I had exactly 5 minutes to get from the coliseum to the Siegel Center for my next ceremony.  And I made it!  Only a few minutes late, but at least I didn't have to stand around for so long.

This time, I got to hear MY name, followed by Cum Laude, walk across stage, hear my family cheer for me, shake the hands of my professors (as they complimented my shoes- which matched my hood thank you very much) and see the look of excitement on my family's faces as I returned to my seat.  I held in my hand my diplomas. Yes, two of them.  Knowing I am a graduate still feels unreal, but I'm sure it will set in about August when I don't have to buy textbooks or sit through lectures.

To celebrate, we had a small barbecue with the family and some friends.  Followed by a night of Wii playing.  My graduation gift!  My family loves me.  And now I am sore from dancing too vigorously during multiple rounds of Just Dance.

Happy Graduation day to me!!

No comments: