Pages

06 February 2012

Being a nanny, I don't work regular hours.  Some weeks, I only work three 12 hours day, and some weeks I work five 7 hour days.  Mostly, I work four days a week.  Three long ones and then a half day.  Which means I typically have at least two days to myself every week.  At first, this meant a lot of sleeping in, watching tv, then grocery shopping. Not all that productive.  As time went on and it started to sink in that I wasn't just on summer vacation with a easy summer job that would be over in a few more weeks, I've become more productive.

I enjoy getting up with Evan (well, not with Evan because he wakes up at 5 usually.  But I get up before 8 usually, as he is leaving for school.) and then have a leisurely breakfast, shower, then do laundry/dishes.  Then I have time to do something fun!  Such as baking, or prepping dinner for the night (or if there is a more difficult one during the week), or crafting!

So what have I been up to?

Well, I got a sewing machine for my birthday, and after the first night of fun winding bobbins and sewing lines down a scrap of fabric to see all the different stitches (14 different stitches! Good job, Evan) I decided to start with something easy- A quilt.  HA!  Actually, I think a blanket/quilt probably is easy to start with, if you go the simple route and just cut squares, sew strips, sew strips together.  The back part is going to be tough I'm sure, but I'll get it.  I'm about halfway through cutting squares, so it will be awhile yet.  Though I should get quite a bit more done today after my cleaning duties :)  I'll post pictures some day.

I also made a a cute chalkboard for our dinner menu (making a menu is the only way I can insure we eat dinner every night).  And some other things.

ALSO I discovered Pinterest, which is like throwing gasoline on the craft fire.  I can hardly finish one before I'm ready to start another.  Luckily, I have enough self control to not let the whole house explode into odds and ends of fabric, paint, and ribbons.

No comments: