Pages

22 July 2010

Pesto- From scratch.

I think I am going to change our blog title to: The Domestication of Sarah.
Why for?
Because slowly I am becoming a domesticated woman.  I still have my stubborn streaks though.  For example, for three weeks straight I cooked dinner every night, dished it up and we ate.  I even started making desserts on the weekends.  Like- whoa.  Then for the next week I missed almost every night.  Grocery store chicken, followed by leftovers, followed by rice and vegetables steamed at the last minute... pretty much anything that took less than 20 minutes.  Or could be picked up in a grocery store.

I ENJOY cooking dinner every night.  But if I don't plan ahead then I can't do it.  I have to have a plan.  It's pretty much the only way I function.

Tonight on my journey to domestication, I made pesto from the basil growing in our window planters.  I planted the basil not really knowing what to do with it once it grew.  And then it grew quickly. And thick.  Its taking over the window.  I didn't know what to do with it aside from adding a little to spaghetti.  Then a friend brought up the (obvious) point that pesto is made form basil.  Apparently she also has an abundance and makes pesto almost every week.  So I gave it a try.

It turned out pretty good, but it definitely needs fresh shaved parmesan instead of the grated kind in the fridge.  So, I can make it again!  Go me!

Just because I want to- my favorite recipe I've learned is stuffed mushrooms.  Really easy. Really delicious. And they look fancy. Excellent!

No comments: