Pages

13 March 2012

Big Rigs

These things are scary, especially if you drive a Yaris.  Yesterday, on my way home from work, I was in the lane next to one.  I was slightly behind it when it veered off into the shoulder.  I immediately slowed down because I know those things make for big crashes.  Thank goodness too.  As he drifted INTO THE DITCH he tried to correct it and came into my lane.  By this time I was a good 3-5 car lengths behind him- thankfully the highway was not busy at that time.  As he came out of the ditch he brought with him a ton of grass dirt and rocks, which proceeded to rain down on my car.  I took a big one to the windshield and now I have to have it replaced.  My insurance company quickly said, "You have glass damage coverage! (yay) The fair price in your area is 401.00, which is less than your deductible, so this will be an out of pocket expense for you (WHAT?!)"  This driver could have seriously injured a lot of people had he been on the highway an hour earlier.  I'm grateful I only have a cracked windshield.  However, I am not happy about having to replace my windshield.  I mean, why do I even have glass coverage?  I guess so I can get chips repaired for free.  I just expected more.  I suppose I should have pulled to the side of the road behind the truck and taken his insurance information?  I took his license plate number, but I was passing him too fast to drive safely AND write down his company.  So there is where I went wrong.  And now I am out the price of a windshield.

At least I am not otherwise injured!

No comments: