Pages

30 March 2012

I've decided

Nothing serious HA!  Just to grow my hair out.  I haven't had long hair in quite a while, I've kept it above my shoulders for the past few years.  I had VERY long hair until middle school, then I cut it to shoulder length.  It stayed around there, with the exception of the time I cut it to chin length my junior year of high school, and then I just let it go through my first few years of college.  I don't have many fond memories of long hair.  A lot of braids, tangles, frizz, etc.  But since then, I've learned how to style my hair.  Just in the last couple years really.  As I was beginning to contemplate whether I would ever go long again, I realized this.  I can style my hair now!  And all these fun hairstyles I see, that I try out on the girls (one of the many perks of my job- playing hairstylist), I can do on me too!  Or at least try.  For a little extra confidence booster, I consulted my hair stylist friend Megan for some tips.  She always made my hair feel pretty :)  Check out her blog for some super cute tutorials.  I will have to learn how to fake volume in my hair, but I think it will be ok.  So here goes.

A journey of the hair:
Just past my shoulders, air dry then brush.  This was my hairstyle for many years.  This was shortly after I let my friends dye it in the kitchen of our dorm.  That is why it is multihued... 
 I was a dancer though, so it was always in a 
ponytail.  I didn't need to style it much, or so I thought

Eventually, I discovered the flat iron- it did wonders.

I tried going curly (with the help of Sprunch Spray), I don't have curly hair...

Then, I met Megan.

Short and dyed! With bangs!

But I let them grow out too much and soon went back to the ponytail.
And still tried to get away with "air-dry then brush"

I went back, she fixed it, I slowly became more persistent in styling, though I still let my bangs grow out too long.

 I tried an A-line for a while...

 With straight across bangs.  I liked that style, but my fast growing bang problem just became amplified with them hanging in my eyes.

 I ended up settling on this  style- short, slightly shorter in the back, side bangs.


 I kept it that way for quite a while

Slightly grown out version

 Megan moved and I went into hair confusion again.  I didn't know how to trust anyone else!  My bangs grew out so I pinned them back and just kept straightening what I had.  As the wedding approached, I had to find someone to do my hair so I wouldn't have dark roots and crazy hair.

 I found someone, and she didn't mess it up.  I never went back to her because, well she charged too much.  But at least I had good hair for my wedding!

I found another girl in Richmond that I was ok with, but I was beginning to feel like no one would ever be able to fill Megan's (super cute and stylish) shoes (am I being dramatic?  Probably.  But I really liked her!)   Then we moved to Arkansas and I started looking, I found someone to try.


 I told her the tale of my hair woes, and she carefully styled my hair into a near perfect replica of what i had before.  I was SO happy!  

 And I discovered headbands.  I have been looking for a new style, and thought the headbands might cure it.  Somewhat, but not completely.  So growing it out it is!

1 comment:

Sally said...

I really missed Megan too and went through hair stylist withdrawl!