Pages

02 April 2012

Decoration type crafts

We have this wire basket in our living room, in the middle of our coffee table.  In our apartment in Richmond, we kept fruit in it usually, sometimes towels if we didn't have fruit.  When we moved, we had more room ( a lot more-  Maybe I should do a compare post to help you understand).  We decided to put the basket on our coffee table, and struggled with ideas of what to fill it with.  We started with paper cranes, then around halloween I filled it with mini pumpkins.  After that there were oranges in there for a while.  Around Christmas I put in some garland or something christmas-y.  I took it off the table for Valentine's and put out a plate with candles surrounded by candies inspired by this picture from pinterest (second one down).  After Valentine's it became a fruit basket again, and the coffee table was decorated in VCU memorabilia in support of our Rowdy Rams.  They lost in the second round (by TWO points.  SO CLOSE!) so the decor needed to change once again.  I found this (once again on pinterest) and decided to give it a shot.  So I bought some water balloons, and got to work.  I already had embroidery floss, so I didn't need to go there.  And I have done paper mache before with just flour and water so I used that instead of using liquid starch.  I do think the eggs would have turned out stiffer, but they hold their shape just fine this way.

Water balloon covered in embroidery floss soaked in gunk 

Let them sit overnight (many of them needed even longer) 

Pop the balloon! (and attempt to scratch out all the flakes)

Stack them in the basket for everyone to see.

They did have a bit of flakes in spots and needed to be cleaned out, which proved really difficult.  In fact, they still have flaky parts.  But as I was pointing this out to one of my friends she said, "I didn't even notice."  So I guess it's all good!

More recently (tonight in fact), I made a wreath.  I was inspired by this Etsy item, used this felt flower tutorial, and added this bow to the hanging ribbon part.  Once I take a picture of it I will post it for you to see.  I think it turned out pretty ok for my first wreath!

Currently, I am still working on the Jean Quilt.  I was talking to one of my friends, Mrs. Grassroot Elegance, about my three jean dilemma, and she said, "I think we can help you out." And the next time I saw her she brought me FIVE pairs of jeans that Mr. Grassroot Elegance no longer wanted.  So, I am tracing and cutting and hopefully soon will have a finished product to share!

No comments: